To encourage Christ-centered living through adventure based activities, camping, nature studies, recreation, team building, and more.
The Camp Edge property, commonly referred to on the tax map of Alloway Township as Part of Block 64, Lot 11, and Block 29, Lot 9, encompassing 71 acres, including Lake Feyl; had originally been used as a mill. The lake came into existence as the result of digging out around Alloway Creek and the water was used to generate power for the mill. The lake was created at Camp Edge in 1850 and was first called Sycamore Lake; and then later, Feyl Lake, which is its name today. The lake is spring fed and continues today to be one of the purest lakes in the area.
Camp Edge was purchased in 1930 by the Atlantic Area Boy Scout Council of America. The Boy Scouts had decided to sell the camp they had been using, Camp Fralinger, which was located in Pennsylvania. The Council began looking for a camp that would be closer in proximity to their region. They looked at several camps and decided on the location that ultimately became Camp Edge. Improvements were made and camping began in 1932.
The name of Camp Edge was chosen to honor New Jersey Governor, Walter E. Edge, who was governor of the state from 1917-1919 and 1944-1947. He also represented New Jersey in the U.S. Senate from 1919-1929 and was appointed by President Herbert Hoover as the U.S. Ambassador to France from 1929-1933. He was a long-time resident of Atlantic County.
When the property was purchased in 1930, the only buildings on the property were the waterfront building made of stone and located next to the dock. This building had been used as the mill, and the barn, and is between 150 – 170 years old. The Atlantic Area Boy Scout Council used part of the money from the sale of Camp Frailinger to build the Frailinger Cabin on their new campsite at Camp Edge. Through the years, many improvements were made and additional property was purchased.
More expansion took place in the 1950’s, as more land was purchased to further protect this pristine setting. There are now between 200-250 acres of land that make up Camp Edge. It abounds with a variety of wildlife, including American bald eagles. Hiking trails are already established, and an adventure-based ropes course has been in operation since the late 1980’s.
Due to the expensive nature of maintaining campsites, the Atlantic Area Boy Scouts of America decided in the late 1990’s that they could no longer afford to maintain Camp Edge.
In 1997 Camp Edge was purchased utilizing Green Acres funding, a program within the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP). Green Acres purchases land to protect environmentally sensitive open space, water resources and other significant natural and historical open space. Land purchased by Green Acres becomes part of the statewide system of parks and forests, wildlife management areas and natural areas. To date, more than 1.2 million acres of open space and farmland have been preserved in communities across the State.
Ranch Hope was given the opportunity to lease 71 acres of the land for a period of fifteen consecutive years. This agreement allowed Ranch Hope to leave the camp as it was, or to provide programming which will once again benefit the community and region, while following Ranch Hope’s proud tradition of honoring Christ in all that they do.
Ranch Hope, Inc., utilizing private funds, renovated the Camp Ranger’s home expanding the living space, kitchen and bathroom facilities and upgrading the appliances.
Extensive renovations to the ropes course in August 2000 brought it into compliance with national standards; it is inspected on an annual basis. Hundreds of groups from this area have experienced the fun and confidence this challenging course offer.